Sunday, September 19, 2010

Getting Into Trouble: The Panini Press And Other Stories

Sound: "Devil's Dance Floor" by Flogging Molly

Last night was Girls' (plus Sean) Night Out. Mia got us on the guest list for Tiger Tiger, a dance club in Picadilly Circus. Being on the guest list is not nearly as exciting as it sounds- basically, it means you get in for free if you get there before 10pm. We got there at 9:45pm, and were therefore able to take full advantage of our guest list privileges. Except for Sam, because she left her ID at home.

I was very excited by the name of this club, because it reminded me of William Blake's "The Tyger." I was so reminded of this fact that I found it necessary to recite the first verse (although at the time, I could only recall the first two lines. Obviously I paid a lot of attention in AP English.):

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

This recitation led to Sean and Mia debating if I was more of an English major or Drama major (Drama won). It also passed the short time that it took to walk from the tube to the club quite quickly.

Once inside the club we proceeded to do what everyone should do in a club: dance. Tiger Tiger has two dance floors and a lot of bar space. A LOT of bar space. I personally am not a fan of the dance floor to bar space ratio... I think more dance floor would be beneficial. But it's okay, because we found plenty of space for ourselves.

Now, being only 20, I've never really been to a club before, but I quickly learned the Golden Rule of Clubbing: You WILL Be Touched By Strange Men. Sometimes this is not a bad thing. Sometimes, it leads to the Panini Press...

The Panini Press is what the flatmates have dubbed the particular version of The Sandwhich that I experienced. The Sandwhich, in case you weren't aware, is when two people dance on their side of another person. The Panini Press is the same thing, except instead of dancing, the two outside people hug each other and squash the person in the middle. It is not pleasant. In fact, it is terrifying (although it is more terrifying when the person in the middle is only 5 feet tall and the people on the outside measure at well over 6 feet). After being tricked into a Panini Press, I obviously needed a breather. So Sean and I acted like the cool kids we are and hung out at a table watching people. That is, until Katy Perry came on and Sean got excited like the 13-year-old girl he is and insisted that we dance. :)

All in all (and Panini Press aside), I thoroughly enjoyed my evening of trouble at Tiger Tiger. There were lots of people to dance with, good music, good drinks (but SO expensive!), and good friends. There was also a wide range of dancing styles- it was nice to move beyond the high school habit of bump-and-grind and actually mambo with someone. I highly recommend Tiger Tiger and plan on returning at least once more before I go back to the States.

Peace out cubscouts.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention Mia's new friend. His name is James (we call him Creepy James). Creepy James is about 35 years old and wears cable-knit sweaters (I don't know how he didn't overheat). After dancing with Mia for two songs, he asked her to be his girlfriend. Mia said sorry, she just met him, and ran away. Later, Creepy James found Mia again and apologized for "offending" her (he said some other stuff, but it was too loud to hear). We had to form a protective cocoon and put Sean on Fake Boyfriend duty. It was hilarious.

EDIT #2: Dear Dad, You will be happy to hear that I am not pregnant, newly pierced, or tattooed. I did not vomit, period. I also did not jump anywhere, in both the literal and metaphorical sense (except straight up and down on the dance floor).

4 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention how awfully Sean failed at fake boyfriend duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy James. I'm not paying. email me.

    Love,
    Connor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't sound like it was any eye that was being used to frame your symmetry!. ..yes, I finally figured out how to post a comment.
    Love,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in 7th grade, I set that William Blake poem to music, thus foreshadowing my current career as an English major who spends just as much time on music.

    ReplyDelete