Sunday, September 12, 2010

Les Francais

Sound: "He Doesn't Know Why" by Fleet Foxes

Friday night my flatmates and I went to a local pub, the Prince Albert (this is different from the Prince Edward, which is kitty corner to our flat and where my future boyfriend, Nick-the-bartender, works). While sipping our lagers, ales, and gin and tonics, we spied some rather cute young men out on the terrace. So we went to talk to them.

They were not, as we originally thought, British. Nope. They were French.

However, despite all the stereotypes of the French being snobs, or mean, or just not liking Americans, they were quite nice young men. Mia, Sam, and I ended up taking to them for almost three hours about a huge range of topics- France, America, foreign languages, England, the Tube, and, of course, the drinking age in America (this seems to be a common topic when talking to Europeans; they just can't seem to understand why America allows people to drive and 16 and vote and go to war at 18, but won't let them drink until 21). It was really interesting to hear their ideas about the world and about America, as well as to learn about France. Talking with someone from another country really tests your knowledge of your own country. While explaining the electoral process (and later, the judicial system), I found myself very grateful for AP U.S. History. We have a really complex political and judical system, and, although I think I did a pretty good job explaining these systems, I certainly don't fully understand all of its nuances.

As I drifted off to sleep that night (well, morning), I found myself very satisfied with the events of the evening. I had held my ground in a debate, had learned a lot about an other country and two of its people, and hadn't yelled once.

Plus, I got a really cute French guy's email address.

Peace out, cubscouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment