Friday, March 1, 2013

A List of Things I Stress Ate During My First 30 Hours in Moscow

Sound: "Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads

-Milano cookies (All gone!  No more American cookies for me!)
-Bread with brie and raspberry jam
-Herring (Apparently, I decided reminders of Amsterdam would bring me a sense of peace?)
-Chewy lemonheads (and friends)
-Some kind of Russian deep-fried meatloaf
-A Rice Krispie treat

I am slowly, but surely, adjusting.  I cried a lot during my first thirty hours in Moscow, and I'm sure I'll cry some more before I go home in May.  However, today has been better than yesterday, and pretty much anything is better than 13 hours of air travel, which was my Wednesday.  I'm definitely reading Russian better every day, and the fact that I successfully ordered borscht (with sour cream) today is a good sign.

I've also already almost had a Taken moment (sorry, Grandma).  I walked the last 30 seconds home by myself today, as my friends wanted to go grocery shopping and I was just hella tired and not ready for that.  The street my dorm is on is, apparently, full of lots of dorms.  See, I was looking for the sign that said "dorm," and well, pretty much every building's sign says "dorm."  The trick is to look for the sign that says "MXAT dorm."  Anyway, I went into the wrong building.  And you have to get buzzed in and out of the buildings.  And the woman only spoke Russian, and was really confused, and I didn't really help matters by repeating (in Russian) "MXAT dorm?  MXAT dorm?  Where?"  She kept trying to get me to go down these sketchy stairs into a sketchy basement.  I don't really know the words for "Lady, that is NOT the MXAT dorm.  That is a sketchy basement and there is no way in hell you are going to make me go down those stairs."  However, I finally remembered the verb "to live" and managed to eke out "I live in the MXAT dorm."  Then the lady let me go.  And I found the MXAT dorm.  And was not kidnapped and sold into sex slavery.

As Charlie Sheen would say, "winning!"

No comments:

Post a Comment