Sound: "Push" by Matchbox 20
I have a problem: people keep touching me. You might say "Morgan, that's kind of par for the course in Moscow. Stop being so sensitive." And you'd be right. Moscow is pretty crowded, and Russians seem to have a different idea of what "personal space" entails. It's common to be pushed out of the way, whether you're walking down the street or in the post-show coat check crush at a theater. Sometimes, people put their hands on your lower back to push you. This, I can deal with. My problem is something else. So, to be more specific: men are touching me in my no-no zones.
A few days ago I was on the subway with some friends and Matt, the Fulbright scholar who lives on our floor. Thank goodness for Matt - he graduated from MXAT (like, went here for four years, not just a semester), so he knows Moscow well and can put its eccentricities in an American context. Anyway, we're on the subway. Three other girls and myself are one side of the car, while Matt and the rest of our group is on the other. There are enough people in the car that we don't have a clear view of each other. This old man on my side of the car aggressively motions for us to sit down. So we do.
At this point the man starts STROKING MY HAIR AND FACE and speaking to me in Russian. I have literally no clue what he was saying; it could have been "Happy Women's Day!" or "You have short hair - how strange!" or even "You look like my dead wife!" Or maybe some combination of all three. Now, if this had happened in the States, I would have immediately released a stream of non-family friendly words to let that man know exactly how not-okay it was for him to touch me like that. But this is Russia, my language skills are almost non-existent, and I'm terrified. All I can do is mutter under my breath (in Russian) "I don't speak Russian." At this point, my friend goes to Matt and says (exact quote) "There's a strange man touching Morgan." Fortunately, we then reached a stop and the man got off the train.
The next time we had Russian class we reviewed how to say "Don't touch me!"
Fast-forward to today. I'm walking home by myself and am in a perikhod (underground street crossing) when two teenage boys (maybe fifteen years old) approach me, block me in, and start touching my chest and behind. Armed with my new knowledge, I strongly ring out "Не трогайте меня!" ("Don't touch me!"). The boys laugh and honk my boob. Yes, I've now had my boob honked in Russia. Cross that one of the bucket list. Soon after, the boys run off and, a bit shaken, I continue on my way.
Here're the two weird things: 1) I've never had this problem anywhere else. I've been in Israel, in Mexico, in sketchy dance clubs in college towns, and I've never had to deal with someone randomly touching me. 2) Apparently, touching people like this isn't that common in Russia. People complain about the invasion of personal space, but it's almost unheard of for people to have someone touch their face or private areas.
I guess I'm just special.
Still, I'm pretty sure if this happens again, someone's going to get punched. Come at me, KGB bros.
I have a problem: people keep touching me. You might say "Morgan, that's kind of par for the course in Moscow. Stop being so sensitive." And you'd be right. Moscow is pretty crowded, and Russians seem to have a different idea of what "personal space" entails. It's common to be pushed out of the way, whether you're walking down the street or in the post-show coat check crush at a theater. Sometimes, people put their hands on your lower back to push you. This, I can deal with. My problem is something else. So, to be more specific: men are touching me in my no-no zones.
A few days ago I was on the subway with some friends and Matt, the Fulbright scholar who lives on our floor. Thank goodness for Matt - he graduated from MXAT (like, went here for four years, not just a semester), so he knows Moscow well and can put its eccentricities in an American context. Anyway, we're on the subway. Three other girls and myself are one side of the car, while Matt and the rest of our group is on the other. There are enough people in the car that we don't have a clear view of each other. This old man on my side of the car aggressively motions for us to sit down. So we do.
At this point the man starts STROKING MY HAIR AND FACE and speaking to me in Russian. I have literally no clue what he was saying; it could have been "Happy Women's Day!" or "You have short hair - how strange!" or even "You look like my dead wife!" Or maybe some combination of all three. Now, if this had happened in the States, I would have immediately released a stream of non-family friendly words to let that man know exactly how not-okay it was for him to touch me like that. But this is Russia, my language skills are almost non-existent, and I'm terrified. All I can do is mutter under my breath (in Russian) "I don't speak Russian." At this point, my friend goes to Matt and says (exact quote) "There's a strange man touching Morgan." Fortunately, we then reached a stop and the man got off the train.
The next time we had Russian class we reviewed how to say "Don't touch me!"
Fast-forward to today. I'm walking home by myself and am in a perikhod (underground street crossing) when two teenage boys (maybe fifteen years old) approach me, block me in, and start touching my chest and behind. Armed with my new knowledge, I strongly ring out "Не трогайте меня!" ("Don't touch me!"). The boys laugh and honk my boob. Yes, I've now had my boob honked in Russia. Cross that one of the bucket list. Soon after, the boys run off and, a bit shaken, I continue on my way.
Here're the two weird things: 1) I've never had this problem anywhere else. I've been in Israel, in Mexico, in sketchy dance clubs in college towns, and I've never had to deal with someone randomly touching me. 2) Apparently, touching people like this isn't that common in Russia. People complain about the invasion of personal space, but it's almost unheard of for people to have someone touch their face or private areas.
I guess I'm just special.
Still, I'm pretty sure if this happens again, someone's going to get punched. Come at me, KGB bros.
No comments:
Post a Comment