Thursday, March 21, 2013

Russia Hates My Coat

Sound: "Salty Dog" by Flogging Molly

In Russia, one must check one's coat upon entering most buildings.  One's coat is checked at restaurants, at school, and, most importantly, at the theater.  Unlike in America, coat check in Russia is free, which makes it less of a pain. (However, unlike in America, Russians don't understand the concept of lines, which makes coat check more of a pain.)

In order to accommodate the immense number of coats, Russian coat checks use hooks, not hangers.  And that is why Russia hates my coat.  You see, my coat doesn't have a loop thingie (technical term) on the inside of its collar.  You can still hang my coat on a hook - gravity is truly amazing, but the Russian coat check ladies are always confounded, and quite often frustrated, by this prospect.

When I say "confounded" and "frustrated," I mean that I have been straight-up scolded, repeatedly, by these coat check ladies.  But I don't really understand what they're saying, so I just utter "sorry" and they still have to hang up my coat.  Joke's on you, coat check ladies!

My friends and I keep saying we'll sew a loop thingie into my coat, but we've yet to get around to that.  And at this point, March is almost over, which means we're all optimistically assuming that we won't have to wear coats for much longer.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment