Monday, February 25, 2013

I've Finished My Jar Of Nutella; I Can Go To Russia Now

Sound: "He Got Game" by Public Enemy

We're about 33.5 hours away from my flight taking off.  This is the home stretch.  And what am I most focused on?  Packing?  Medicine?  Making sure all my affairs are in order?

Nope.  I'm focused on getting rid of all the food left in my pantry.  Which is why tonight, I'm having people over for brinner (breakfast for dinner).  We're having pancakes, eggs, mimosas, and whatever anyone else brings.  Good times should be had by all.

Other than stuffing my face with good ol' 'Murikan food, I've been spending this past few days seeing as many friends and as much theater as I can.  I saw two fabulous plays this weekend - the first was The Flu Season, which the second years at the Institute are putting on as part of their season.  I'll be honest; I didn't like The Flu Season when I first read it.  I found the language largely inaccessible and the plot rather stagnant - plodding, at best.  But the actors, director, and designer transformed the text into a deeply moving, wonderful, heart-wrenching evening of theater.  I laughed, I got verklempt, I felt compelled to tell every person that I love that I love them.

So, readers: I love you.

The second play I saw was a reading of a new play called Like Father.  It was written by Mike Poe, an Ithaca College aulmn, and directing by my dear friend Lucy Gram, another alumna of IC.  The play is still a somewhat early draft, but it has a very strong center, and I'm excited to see how it grows and develops.

Other than that, I've been packing, breathing deeply, and watching a lot of Food Network.  I'm gonna miss Paula Deen, ya'll.

Next time you hear from me, I'll be in Moscow.  Завершение и выход!

No comments:

Post a Comment