Sound: "Life on Mars?" by David Bowie
I have a fancy TV. Actually, to be more accurate: I have Fancy TV. The television set itself is not that fancy; it's nice and does the job, but it has nothing on those 60" HD plasma surround sound magic television sets.
But my cable package? That's some fancy stuff right there.
For a little context: I haven't really had TV in my life for the past four years. When I went home, my parents had cable, but it wasn't at all like what my house has right now. I mean, not to go crazy or anything, but WE HAVE HBO, YOU GUYS! HBO! NOW I CAN WATCH GAME OF THRONES AND TRUE BLOOD AND REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER AND THEN YELL AT THE TELEVISION SET BECAUSE BILL MAHER DOESN'T SUPPORT THE ARTS AND IS KIND OF A MISOGYNIST!
Sorry.
I have come to realize, that, as a result of this Fancy TV, my greatest challenge at the Institute (the abbreviation of my grad program) will not be completing my work with the utmost excellence, but completing my work. Because who wants to read about frontier masculinity and Alaskan wildlife laws when they could be watching Paula Deen* mix 5 pounds of butter with some sugar and meat, fry it, and call it a meal?
Actually, the frontier masculinity article was pretty interesting. But you get my point. I like to think that I have the strength to ignore the siren song of Fancy TV, put on my big girl pants, and turn off the set and study. I definitely have several incentives to do so. But we'll have to see how it goes.
Stay tuned for further developments in Morgan vs. Fancy TV.
*For more on Paula Deen (because that woman is a star), I urge you to check out one of my favorite websites.
Yay!!
ReplyDelete