Tuesday, December 14, 2010

London: Lessons Learned

Sound: "London Calling" by The Clash.


On Sunday, exactly four months after I arrived in the UK, I will be leaving for a winter break in the Bay Area, followed by a spring semester at Ithaca College (the New York one). These past four months have been a truly fantastic experience, and I'm not sure how to properly bring them to a close. But I really like making lists, so that's what I'm going to work with. So, without further ado...


London: Lessons Learned

-I like alliteration.
-Cross with confidence.
-Bring a coat when visiting the West Country.
-Whole Foods is both heaven and hell.
-If someone tells you that "the American accent is the most beautiful," they probably are only interested in one thing, and it's not an explanation of the U.S. electoral system.
-There are very few Jews in London.
-There is no such thing as too much theatre. There is, however, such thing as too much Restoration comedy.
-The Dutch are just a little bit racist.
-If something isn't going to actually kill you, then let it go, because the stress it's causing just might do the job.
-British men are much more attractive than British women.
-You cannot change others; you can only change yourself and hope for the best.
-Free internet is easy to find, provided you use a little creativity.
-Look right, then left.
-Patience is of the utmost importance.
-Herring broodjes are weird. But poffertjes are sublime.
-You may have a walk signal, but if the light is flashing yellow, a car WILL try to run you over.
-Phone booths are good places to hide from stalkers.
-Tube strikes are a blessing in disguise, as they force you to discover a new side of the city.
-There's no Mexican food like California Mexican food... or Taco Bell.

So, adios, London. It's been real, it's been good, and sometimes it's even been real good. I hope to see you again very soon. Try to get over your fear of snow while I'm gone, okay?

Peace out, cubscouts.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some very important lessons learned, Morgan, and therefore time well spent.

    Glad you did not get kidnapped and/or taken advantage of, and I look forward to seeing you soon (but let's try to talk even before then, shall we?).

    ReplyDelete