Sunday, August 15, 2010

There Ain't Nothing Like A Brooklyn Girl

Sound: "So Contagious" by Acceptance

I'm in love. The object of my affections has it all; they're urban, cultured, quirky, clean, open-minded, and easy to deal with. What noun (yes, person, place, or thing-this is a new age in sexuality, folks) has caused me to fall head-over-heels? Brooklyn, New York City, NY. Dear Lord, I've only spent a few hours in Brooklyn and I already want to go back. I could easily see myself living there for the rest of my life and being very, very happy.

I went to Brooklyn today to visit my friend Silvan. I also ended up visiting his parents, who are just wonderful people. I first met them when they came to see a show that Silvan was in, and it was great to see them again. We had a very low-key, but fun day- hanging out, seeing "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World," and eating way too much Mexican food.

Brooklyn has Manhattan's "big city" feel without its lack of greenery (and, to be perfectly frank, aroma of urine). The subway runs throughout the borough, but it's easy to walk through, too. And it's easy to find a grocery store! Do you realize how important this is? I know that there are grocery stores all over Manhattan, but I swear I have yet to actually see one.

In addition to my newfound love for Brooklyn, I'm just loving this vacation in general. I'm enjoying the change of scenery, and am surprising myself with how quickly I've picked up NYC public transportation. Also, I've learned that I apparently walk quickly. Or maybe the rest of America just walks really slowly. Either way, I've been hating on the Times Square tourists a little bit. Sorry.

Tomorrow I travel to the Bronx to go to the Zoo with Ben. I'm excited to see the alligators and tortoises. I'm hoping that they have manatees, but I'm trying to keep my expectations somewhat low.

Peace out, cubscouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment