Monday, August 30, 2010

McDonalds Hates Me And I Hate Vuvuzelas

Sound: "Knock Out Eileen" by LL Cool J/Dexy's Midnight Runners (AWESOME mashup!)

Today, as well as yesterday, is also Carnival. While most Carnivals take place right before the start of Lent, London feels the need to be different and has Carnival coincide with Children's Day (I think this is another one of this random British holidays, like Boxing Day). London's Carnival is set in Bayswater/Notting Hill, aka right where I live. So, my flatmates and I get to truly, intimately experience Carnival. This is cool, right? Well...

As a resident of the area, I am not the biggest fan of Carnival. Why? Because of the vuvuzelas. Vuvuzelas, many of you will remember, became popular during the recent world cup. They are really, really, really, annoying (to hear the sound of a vuvuzela, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BIgnEiT8ow). I thought the British shared my dislike of the vuvuzela, but apparently this dislike does not extend into Carnival. I feel like an angry, bitter old woman, because I keep wanting to go outside and yell at people if I hear a vuvuzela any time after 9pm. However, the London police recommended during our orientation that we do not yell at the Carnival-goers, because they will get angry and blow the vuvzela in your face. Despite my vuvuzela hatred, I am so going to Carnival tonight (but responsibly, because I have class tomorrow!). If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

So, Carnival has definitely been the most eventful... event of the weekend. The other event was getting kicked out of McDonalds. Our flat doesn't have wifi, and internet is rather expensive in England. My flatmates and I are working on going in on a wireless network with another Ithaca flat in the same building (yes, this is totally illegal, but come on- you all want to hear from me and see pictures, right?). Until then, my internet access is limited to the computer labs at the Ithaca College London Center and wherever I can get free wireless- within walking distance of my flat, McDonalds.

Turns out McDonalds does not like it when you arrive with your laptop and plop down for a few hours of unadulterated emailing and facebooking. They get even more upset, though, when you do this without buying food. And apparently five girls buying one milkshake doesn't count. This weekend the manager of our local McDonalds told us that we really shouldn't abuse their free wifi service, and that we need to at least buy a chicken sandwhich or something if we're going to be in there for a while. Although maybe this was because the McDonalds was full. Or not.

Will this stop us? Heck, no. We're college students; we believe in ending corporate expansion, bringing peace and love to all the world, and getting whatever we can for free, no matter what it takes. We've already found another McDonalds about a ten minute walk from our flat.

Maybe we should re-think the ending corporate expansion part.

Peace out, cubscouts.

1 comment:

  1. Morgan, I do honestly and sincerely love you.

    Good luck with the peace half.

    ReplyDelete