Saturday, April 20, 2013

Springtime For Putin And Russia...y?

Sound: "Miami 2 Ibiza" by Swedish House Mafia feat. Tinie Tempah

My apologies to Mel Brooks for the title of this post.  I couldn't resist.

This week has, for reasons that I don't feel qualified to get into here, been really tough.  It's been hard being so far from home and not able to easily contact my friends in Boston.  However, I'm really glad everything seems to have worked out okay, and am extremely proud of my city.

Quick Diversion: There is a group of schoolchildren (maybe junior high school aged) in the park behind my dorm right now.  They are standing in a line listening to a woman (their teacher?) lecture.  The teacher is holding a GIANT communist flag.  "You Spin Me Right Round" by Dead Of Alive is playing.  I am incredibly confused, but, like many things here that confuse, have no choice but to shrug and say "Russia."

Fortunately, Russia has helped make this week a bit better by realizing that it's the middle of April, which means it's definitely spring.  Finally, after the snow that plagued us earlier this month, we have sun!  And warmth!  To the point where I'm not even wearing my coat, and sometimes shed my sweater.

Quick Diversion Update #1: Matt thinks the Russian kids and Communist lady are some form of Young Pioneers.  The kids are all wearing red neckerchiefs.  They are now playing the USSR national anthem, and some man is yelling emphatically at them.  "You Spin Me Right Round" has been replaced by some Eurotrash techno music, which is competing with the USSR national anthem.  Say it with me now: "Russia."

Surprisingly, Moscow is really pretty in the spring.  I'm still waiting for flowers and greenery, but it definitely seems a little less dirty and a lot less colorless.  Even the Soviet-era buildings have a strange beauty to them. It makes my 35-minute walk to school much more pleasant.

QDU #2: The Communist Young Pioneers are now having some sort of picnic.  And "All Around The World (la la la la la)" by ATC is playing.  The USSR national anthem is over.  This country is so bizarre.

Okay, clearly, along with sunshine, springtime in Moscow means more of the Russian crazy comes out.  I can't even anymore.  Sorry guys.  I've gotta keep my nose glued to the window and try to figure what the hell is going on.

1 comment:

  1. is it strange that i almost miss the music this morning?!

    ReplyDelete