Sunday, October 24, 2010

Holland: Part Madurodam and Delft

Sound: "Ever And A Day" by AFI

Day 3: October 16, 2010- Den Haag

Dutch phrase of the day: "Madurodam is de meest magisch plaats in de wereld!"

Saturday morning I woke up, looked out my window and OMG, IT WAS SUNNY AND BEAUTIFUL AND I WAS GOING TO MADURODAM. I'd been excited for Madurodam since my dad had told me all about this wondrous, tiny city of joy and magic. Then my mom told me it was like seeing the entire country in one go, and I was hooked. I had to go to Madurodam. So, Mia and I hopped on the #9 tram and got off at Madurodam (See? This place is so awesome it has its own stop.). I could write a novel about how fantastic Madurodam is, but that would bore you (and probably be really repetitive), so I'll just show you some pictures:

This is not actually related to Madurodam, but it shows my level of excitement for Madurodam pretty well.

It's me and a tiny Leiden University!

A teeny tiny cheese market! How awesome IS this place?

Obviously, Madurodam would kick Disneyland's butt in a fight.

After the incomparable Madurodam, we needed to chill out. So we went to the beach. Except "the beach" means Scheveningen, which means hurricane-force winds (but no rain, and therefore no fear of a sunken country). We walked along the boardwalk for a while and then decided to go to a restaurant on the pier (called "De Pier") because we had a coupon. The restaurant specialized in panokoeken and poffertjes, so that is what we ate. Another point to Grandma for yet another awesome food recommendation. While walking back to our hostel after lunch, we came across the Museum Beelden aan Zee. It's a small, but amazing museum that displays contemporary statues. I cannot recommend it enough; everyone should go. Then we had nap time.

For our evening entertainment, we went to a piano bar recommended to us by an Ithaca College student who lives in a suburb of Den Haag. Sadly, we were disappointed by the Dutch's apparent lack of lyrical accuracy. However, it was fun to watch a white man perform "Gangster's Paradise" by Coolio.

Day 4: October 17, 2010- Den Haag-Delft

Dutch phrase of the day: "Oneindigheid en Eeuwigheid zijn hetzelfde ding."

Sunday, we intended to go back to Parliament, but those tricky tricksters were closed. Instead, we went to the M.C. Escher exhibit at Het Paleis. I learned two things at this exhibit: 1) M.C. Escher was one funny-looking dude, and 2) The M.C. Escher book at my dad and stepmom's house does not do this man justice.

After the Escher exhibit, we went to the Historical Museum of The Hague. If you do not speak and/or read Dutch, do not go here. Almost nothing is labeled, and what is, is labeled in Dutch. Dutch: 2, Morgan and Mia: 0.

Fed up with a lack of English and not sure what else there was to do in Den Haag, we decided to go to Delft. Delft is a city/suburb (depending on who you ask) near Den Haag. It is also where Delft china is made (see what they did there?). After a long walk through Delft (because we're not very good at reading Dutch signs), we found the Royal Delft China Factory Museum Thing. We learned all about how Delft china is made and painted, and then went to a lovely gift shop. Mia and I thought it might be nice to buy some Delft china for our loved ones, but that stuff is super expensive, so sorry. I did, however, find a nice cheap rip-off Delft china Christmas ornament that will be adorning someone's tree when I get home.

Also, we did not take a nap on Sunday because we decided to be adults.

Next time: The Ultimately Unsuccessful Voorburg Adventure.

Peace out, cubscouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment